Stimulation to ones brain and refreshing mind is music. Music can be in any form, either listening to it, playing an instrument or just murmuring a piece of it.
The music helps me function. It helps me with studies and sports. Music is the universal language. It is impossible to create drama, opera, and ballet without music. What would world be without music? Without music the world would be a quiet place. It is a reminder of how things once were an indication of how things are, and a view of where society is headed. Music is a reflection of the society. Music can be a way to deliver messages, a poetic medium, a fine art, or a source of entertainment. No matter what it is used for, music is the perfect art and our lives would be that much less complete without it.
What Is A Shehnai…?
The most popular, but rarely played instrument is the shehnai. shehnai is a double-reed conical oboe of north India called as a reed — and a slightly widening bell at the bottom. it is made of wood, comprising of four parts. The first part is the wooden body (naad), second consists of a flaring metal bell attached to the bottom of the instrument, a metallic tube (nalli) and a reed. The metallic bell measures about 12–20 inches (30–50 cm) in length, with seven keyless finger holes along its body. Possessing a 1+1/2 octave range, The Shehnai is a difficult instrument to play, as the musician must master a wide range of finely nuanced embouchure and fingering techniques. The Shehnai takes considerable skill to master because mouth-control & wind-control, along with finger dexterity and how the mouth is held, requires practice.
SHEHNAI IS A MISSION….. MUSIC IS DIVINE……….
Pandit Shailesh Bhagwat, a widely travelled man of simple habits, and a well-experienced artiste with polite and firm concepts. He is most excellently groomed and taught well for almost 39 years in music, shehnai & “sanskaars” by the supreme authority in shehnai and the most revered bharat-ratna Ustad Bismillah Khan Saheb.
Pandit Shailesh Bhagwat is the most well known disciple of Ustad Bismillah Khan. He is a widely travelled man of simple habits, and a well-experienced artist with polite and firm concepts.
Pandit Shailesh Bhagwat is equally eager to perform lecture-cum-demonstrations like his concerts, and feels the intense necessity of propagating music and every intricacy of Shehnai to each and every person who would love to understand music and the instrument – Shehnai.
Pandit Shailesh Bhagwat, being a down to earth person said, “Every performance is like a test to me. When one test is over, i immediately start researching on the further studies. i can’t forget about the performance but rather think of improving the same next time. This is the way it has to be……”
When asked about the religion bias of Ustad Bismillah Khan, Pt Bhagwat said, “He had no religion bias whereas he could only see how dedicated a person is towards achieving his goal and then accepted Shailesh as his student.” because…., – music knows no religion because music itself is a religion in its own authority.
Pandit Shailesh Bhagwat has rendered his shehnai- recitals at innumerable places in India and abroad on account of various types of occasions & has given concerts of shehnai for more than three decades to date. A widely travelled artist, Shailesh has rendered his recitals at various music festivals in India. His depth, range of his shehnai has a thorough spiritual and scientific approach towards music.
The unassuming artiste of the younger generation Pandit Shailesh Bhagwat maintains the status of SHEHNAI The Divine Musical Instrument he loves. Pandit Shailesh Bhagwat has rendered his Shehnai – Recitals at innumerable place in India on account of various types of Occasions. Pandit Shailesh Bhagwat rendering of Shehnai is marked with an emotional presentation – which has a systematic blending and an improvisation of Raga in the “Gayaki-Ang” his phenomenal breath-control is superb and notable. No less noteworthy is his inclination in presenting the most intricate Ragas of his Shehnai which are less heard these days, like Raga Shivamat-Bhairav, Shahana-Bahar, Hans-Narayan, Hanskinkini, Meghranjani & many others. The depth and range of Pandit SHAILESH BHAGWAT Shehnai has a thorough spiritual, scientific, logical and professional approach towards his Music.. Equally eager to perform a Lecture-cum-Demonstration like his concerts, Pandit SHAILESH BHAGWAT feels the intense necessity of propagating Music and every intricacy of Shehnai to each and every person who would love to understand the Music and the Instrument – Shehnai. Pandit SHAILESH BHAGWAT has given Concerts of SHEHNAI for more than Two Decades to date. Some of the most renowned places of his performance and achievement are on the following pages.
- Since when did you start playing shehnai?
I started playing since the age of 13
2. What Motivated You To Play Shehnai? Any Family Background?
Playing this instrument was in my blood and no one in my family was into music. God has given me this talent and need to utilize it and do something in life.
3. How Many Hours Do You Practice Daily?
Like All Others Do Their Business, Service & Jobs For 8-9 Hrs, Similarly Playing Shehnai Is My Profession And I Am Devoted To.
4. According To You, What Should Be The Passion? Should It Be Just For Entertainment, For Yourself Or A Happiness Achieved By Devotion Of God?
Music Is Basically A Shortest Cut To Reach GOD And I Devote It To God. The More You Get Engrossed In Playing, Faster Will You Reach GOD. Shehnai Should Be Played In Such A Way That, People Must Start Swaying To Its Tunes.
5. How many scales does shehnai have and is it necessary that you should have the knowledge of songs and singing?
Shehnai Has 1 And Half Scales And The Scales Vary According To The Sizes. I Have Done A Lot Of Study Myself But I Have Nothing In Written But In My Head. No One Has Thought Me Sa Re Ga Ma Of Music But Learnt It Myself With Lot Of Practice. Hence It Is Said, “Practice Makes Man Perfect.”
I Was Initially Taught The Basics Of Shehnai & Music By Pandit Aurangabadkar & Pandit Maruti Patil Of Thane.
6. How Did You Approach Ustad Bismillah Khan Saheb, And Requested Him To Be Your GURU? Since How Long Have You Been Guided Under Ustad Bismillah Khan, Can You Explain That Incidence?
Since Several Years, Pandit Shailesh Has Been A Devotee Of Ustad Bismillah Khan Saheb. When TNRN Correspondent Asked Shailesh Sir About His Journey For Accepting Such A Great Teacher, He Said, “I Was His Bhakta (Devotee), But In Fact He Accepted Me As His Student And I Am Very Much Blessed To Learn Under His Guidance. I Always Used To Visit Khan Saheb Whenever He Used To Visit Mumbai And Have Been Requesting Him To Accept Me As My Student, But He Used To Refuse. One Day Khan Saheb Called Me And My Journey Began. He Loved Me And Considered Me As His Own Son.
7. What All Awards Have You Achieved Till Date?
Awarded A “Senior-Fellowship” In The Field Of Hindustan Music – Shehnai, By The Central Government Of India For A Period Of 2 Years W.E.F: 01-12-2000. I Was Also Awarded Empanellment With ICCR As Shehnai Artist To Represent Indian Culture And Indian Music To Abroad Countries. I Have Also Received Pitambari Thane Nagar Ratna Puraskaar In 2013.
8. What All Performances Have You Given Till Date?
Performances Of National Level Concerts:
- Shree Baba Harivallabh Sangeet Mahasabha – JALANDHAR
- Bhubaneshwar Music Circle – BHUBANESHWAR
- All India Festival Of Musical Wind Blowing Instruments At Bharat Bhavan – BHOPAL
- APNA-UTSAV (Organised By The Central Government Of India) – MUMBAI
- Rajarshi Chhatrapati Shahu Sangeet Rajani Organised By Shivaji University – KOLHAPUR
- HAMPI-Utsava, KARAVALI-Utsava, KADAMBA-Utsava Of KARNATAKA Government
- The Most Prestigious SAWAI GANDHARVA Sangeet Mahotsav – PUNE
- Maharana Kumbha Gurupurnima Utsav – UDAIPUR
- Chowmahalla Palace Sangeet Mahotsava – HYDERABAD
- Dhrishti Foundation – BIJAPUR
- Karnataka State Cinema Awards – BANGALORE
- Centre For Excellence & Micro-Sign – BHAVNAGAR
- Pipavav Shipyard – PIPAVAV
- Dr.PRABHA ATRE Foundation – PUNE
- Shruti Mandal – JAIPUR
- ALAAP Sangeethotsav 2012 – TELLICHERRY
- Sur-Sagar Organization – BANGALORE
- Tumkur University – TUMKUR
- Dr. Hendre-Parandekar Gayatri Swaroop Hospital & Sakaal Newspaper – (2 Times) KOLHAPUR
- Sangeeth Sabha – UDUPI 9. You Have Travelled In So Many Countries All Over and You Like Their Songs? How Are You Trying To Make A Song For Maharashtra? I Personally Feel There Is No State Anthem
- For Maharashtra. I Just Want To Give A Suggestion To The Government Of Maharashtra To Come Up With An OFFICIALIZED STATE ANTHEM. There Are So Many Singers, Music-Composers, Poets & Lyric-Writers And The Political Parties Should Come Forward And Develop A STATE ANTHEM As Our Neighboring State Karnataka Has Its Own State Anthem.
- What Do Awards Mean To You?
Receiving An Award Is Not A Criteria, Performance Is Important. Awards Have Nothing To Do With Music; In-Fact Increases The Responsibility.
- What Do You Feel About The Young Generation Will It Be Inclined Towards Shehnai?
- I Would Like To Tell The Young Generation That If Anyone Interested In Learning This Instrument, You Need To Invest Lot Of Time And Be Well-Focused To Put In Lot Of Hardwork In The Subject With Lots Of Energy. Please Don’t Do It As A Hobby As It Is Surely A Difficult Instrument To Play.
11. Why Do You Say “Let Success Go Into Your Books Not Into Your Head” Can You Explain That?
If The Success Goes Into Your Head, You Will Not Wish To Go Ahead And This Is Where Ego Arises. Hence Let The Success Be Where It Is….., And Always Aim High, If You Don’t Achieve Your Aim Try To Reach To It.